Cracoe Village Hall

Party and Function Hire, Conference Facilities, Wedding Receptions, Christening and Celebration Room Hire

  You are here » Home » About Cracoe Village Hall

About Cracoe Village Hall

About Cracoe Village Hall

The story behind the Village Hall began in August 1921 when William Wade Maude gave a First World War prisoner-of-war hut (which had been used in Skipton) to his local community in appreciation of the conduct of the young men of Rylstone, Hetton-cum-Bordley and Cracoe as a memorial of the part they played in the War in protecting the lives and homes of those dear to them and in memory of his two sons who died in, or as a result of, that War.  “The Hut” became a much-loved centre of community life for over 77 years and the Charity set up in 1921 to be responsible for its administration is still known today as The Rylstone District War Memorial Hut (charity registered number 225902)

However, in 1996 the Trustees of the Charity decided to build a new Village Hall to replace the Hut.  The result of much hard work and extensive fundraising was the erection of the current smart, attractive Hall that is even more of a focal point for the local community.  It also provides much needed space for the adjacent Primary School who use it every weekday during term-time for lunches, activities and some lessons.  The Hall has been a huge success and is very popular for weddings, special occasions, fundraising events (such as dances and coffee mornings) and for use by clubs, groups and societies.

The Foundation Stone for this new Hall (designed by Barry Rawson ARIBA of Wales, Wales and Rawson, Chartered Architects of Skipton) was unveiled by HRH The Prince of Wales on Friday 15 May 1998 and the building work was “practically completed” by the contractor, Colin Atkins of Cracoe, on 14 May 1999.  The formal opening ceremony took place on Saturday 19 June 1999 when Freddie Trueman OBE of Flasby cut the ribbon in the presence of a large gathering of benefactors and well-wishers of all ages.

The Charity is governed by the original Deed of Gift dated 10 August 1921 as varied by a formal Scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 10 October 1997. The primary object of the Charity is the provision and maintenance of the Hall for the use of the inhabitants of Rylstone, Hetton-cum-Bordley, Cracoe, Flasby and Winterburn.

The land on which the Hall has been built is owned by the Trustees of Cracoe Parish Meeting who let it by a Lease dated 13 October 1997 to the Trustees of the Charity for 99 years from 1 January 1997.

The Hall is run by a Management Committee which has a Working Group of 12 people.

The Charity’s financial year-end is 31 December and its AGM is usually held in February or March.

Village Hall Licence and room dimensions
The Hall (which is a “no-smoking” building) has a premises licence from Craven District Council to provide regulated entertainment and the sale by retail of alcohol.  The permitted hours for the sale of alcohol are between 11.00am and 1.00am every day. The Premises Supervisor is Mr Will Carr. Hirers or users wishing to dispense alcohol will need to make special arrangements beforehand with the Bookings Secretary.

The main hall is 8.5m x 15m, the annexe 12m x 4m and the meeting room 5.8m x 6m.  The main hall can be extended into the annexe and meeting room to create one large space by opening the sliding doors.

Cracoe Village Hall, Cracoe, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 6LQ.     All enquiries and bookings by email only please: bookingscvh@btinternet.com
  • Party & Function Hire
  • Special Birthday celebration Venue
  • Wedding Reception Venue
  • Wedding Anniversaries
  • Christening Venue.
  • Ceilidhs, Ballroom & Sequence Dances
  • Fund-raising Occasions.
  • Conference Facilities
  • Meeting Venue
  • Presentations
  • Kitchen Facilities
  • Hearing Loop For The Hard Of Hearing.
  • Conference Venue
Website Design & Management by Cats On The Keyboard 01422 843818